Friday, June 18, 2010

sad story


well, i have been mia for a couple of weeks now, unfortunately.  first of all, please forgive me for typing in all lowercase, as i am typing with one hand.  it has been a difficult week and a half.  our sweet anna girl (above) was hit by a car last tuesday.  we happen to live on one of the two busiest streets in town.  i was in the backyard and i heard it.  i thought it was a finder bender at first and then i saw my neighbor from across the street run into the road and yell for me to come down.  my poor anna... how could i have let this happen? she never went near the street.  i still don't understand why. well, she had been hit hard and my only instinct was to get to her and try to comfort her and get her out of the four-lane.  well, as soon as i put my hand on her head she turned and bit down hard.  never in a million years would she have hurt me if she had been in her right mind.  i knew that when dogs are in pain and great distress that this is their first instinct.  did i think of this?  no.  she bit down and would not let go.  thankfully, my neighbor was with me and we both got her jaws open enough for me to kind of tear my hand out.  while i ran back to the house to get something to wrap my hand with, 2 other neighbors came to the rescue and got anna out of the road.  i have wonderful neighbors!  i cannot thank them enough.  it would have been so much worse if they hadn't been there.  trey was on his way home from work and arrived shortly after.  to make a long story short: anna had to be put to sleep, i have had about 25 stitches overall, 2 surgeries due to infection and a few days in the hospital.  i am now home and the pain is much more manageable and the infection is under control.  i have been blown away by all of the prayers, phone calls, cards, visits, dinners and much more that by all my friends and family.  through much therapy i will return to normal, eventually.  its been an adjustment having to need so much assistance on the simplest activities, such as washing hair/fixing hair, opening pill bottles, typing,  dressing yourself... so many things i took for granted.  wow.


We are still missing our anna very much!  her bed is still in its place, food and water bowl are still there.  we can't really tell if molly is sad or not.  i have joked that she has just enough bitch in her to be ok with it just being the 3 of us now.  she loved and depended on the fuzzy bear though, as did we.  we miss you sweet anna girl.  you had a heart of gold.  thank you for loving us.

{anna and molly cuddling}

5 comments:

  1. I am so, so sorry to read this. As a fellow dog lover I can not imagine having to deal with something like that. Sending you (and your hand!) positive thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just clicked over from i suwannee because I saw you were a fellow Tennessean. After reading this post I had to send my sympathies. I am so sorry for your loss. It's clear that Anna lived a very happy life and was much loved. My heart goes out to your family. Also, I am wishing your hand a speedy healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, I am so sorry to hear about all this! I hope your hand heals quickly! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am doing a giveaway right now, so be sure and enter! A giftcard to Sephora might be a good way to help your hand heal faster :)

    http://lindsaylovesitall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I can't believe what I am reading. I am so, so sorry to hear all this. I will keep y'all in my prayers. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the sweetest picture of Anna and Molly cuddling. I'm still praying for you and hope you can get back to "normal" soon! ~Missy

    ReplyDelete