Tuesday, June 8, 2010

'Coon Catchin'

Yep, that's right.  We've been 'coon catchin' (short for raccoon catching...it's a southern thing) at the Little Blue House.  We have known for about a month that raccoons have been shacking up in our attic.  The attic is above our two garages, attached to the house, but you have to go outside to get to it... thankfully. 


Momma 'Coon was caught last week.  We went to our local state park and let her go.  In all honesty, I really figured there was more than one of these things, but I have taken comfort in the fact I haven't heard there scratching noises above my bedroom... until last night.  I was in bed reading, Trey and the dogs were sound asleep, and I heard it.  Scratch, scratch, scratch.  Crap, crap, crap.  About the time I heard it, so did Molly- dog.  She is as old is dirt but can hear the tiniest sound a mile away.  Trey wakes up and I tell him that "their back."  He doesn't seem to be too concerned, because we did have a trap set, just in case they came back.  I couldn't sleep and they kept on making racket, so I trucked outside in the wet grass, up the stairs, opened the door to find 4 baby raccoons.  My exact words were, "What in the hell are we going to do now?"

I go back down stairs.  Trey is awake.  I tell him all about my discovery.  He is still not concerned, "What can we do about it right now, Grace?".  It is 10:15 p.m.  He goes back to bed.  I can't sleep.  I google pest control companies. I call Orkin 24 hour hot line.  They told me that my local company would call me within 48 hours.  48 hours?  Oh my...

About this time, Trey is up, he can't sleep either.  We decide to go give them another look.  They are still there, but one is in the live trap and the siblings are freaking out.  We decide we can catch them ourselves and put them in a dog kennel.  Trey leaves and tells me to keep an eye on the babes.  He comes back in blue jeans, no shirt, knee length camo muck boots, and neoprene gloves up to his elbows.  He had a 'coon catchin' outfit on.  My man was prepared, sweeeeet!  He wouldn't allow a picture, unfortunately.  I was pushing my luck as it was.  We caught 3 out of the 4 coons.  I have the job of trying to catch the other one today while he is at work.  Awesome.  I wander if I should wear his 'coon catchin' outfit (including a shirt)?  It is times like this when I am so glad I married a good ole country boy that is not afraid (or concerned) of a few of these little cute things.


3 comments:

  1. We just had a raccoon situation to deal with but I feel like yours are cuter than the fattys that were breaking into our garbage! lol

    http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No, No, No!!! That reminds me of when I was little... except we had a mama and several baby skunks under our house (a whole lot of no good right there). Huzzah for Trey, and huzzah for you--I can't believe that you were tasked with rounding up the last critter on your own... Hugs and love you--I will be home at the end of the month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and nice blog, just found it!


    D E G A I N E

    http://www.fashiondegaine.com

    ReplyDelete